Sunday, March 15, 2009

Studio Pals



photos: Devlin (top) poodle 
         Callie, shitzu mix

I've been busy today with family, and with letting my studio pals in and out, and in and out, and...well, anyone who shares their lives with active pups knows what I mean.  Devlin (top) came from the wonderful no-kill shelter Hearts United in Nebraska.  I'm not sure where he got his unusual name, but since he was 3 when I adopted him, I didn't think it would be right to change it.  The shelter docs had amputated one of his hind legs because of an injury.  He gets around like gang-busters anyway.  Happy guy that he is, I probably could have called him Tripod, and he wouldn't mind.  

Callie came to join the family a year later from the Prince George's County SPCA.  A friend of mine is a volunteer there, and was fostering Callie for the weekend.  The rescue group  labeled her a shitzu mix.  After two years of her joyous company, I can confidently say the other part of the mix is: kamakazi/squirrel stalker/bird catcher/biscuit thief/snuggle monster. 

12 comments:

Dean H. said...

Hi, Liz! Welcome to the blogosphere!
Your talent and training are outstanding. I'm looking forward to your posts.

Angela Elledge said...

Hello Liz-Welcome! I'm pretty new to this blog thing, as well; the artists here are great and wonderful encouragers. I love your painting style and look forward to visiting often. Thank you for posting the portrait close-ups; that is an exercise I did years ago, but had forgotten all about it!

L.Holm said...

Thank you Dean and Angela for your warm welcome to a newbie. I appreciate it.

Edward Burton said...

Looks like you have a couple of very wonderful studio pals, Liz. Sounds like Callie is quite the character. You've given them a loving home.

jgr said...

Your studio pals are both adorable! Devlin looks like he's full of mischief, too - regardless of missing his leg. I love how animals are without self-pity. My studio pal, a brown cat named 'Mocha' is currently asleep in my lap.

Your paintings are lovely, you inspire me greatly.
I am a beginning watercolor artist, I practice by sketching portraits from magazine pictures.
Thank you for sharing.

--Jane

L.Holm said...

Thanks for visiting jgr! What would we do without our studio muses! What a great name for a brown cat. love it!

Unknown said...

Liz, thank you for your kind words on the hydrangea painting today - you are right, that is one tough little flower to paint. We've been having a wrestling match for years. : )
I just had to visit your blog again and admire your skilled and professional studio assistants. I can see from the gleam in Callie's eye that she makes sure every day is an adventure. Devlin is a love, and I am so happy you have adopted both of these sweeties. A big shout out to animal rescuers like you!
hugs from me and the fattypugs...

L.Holm said...

LOL! Thanks so much Nancy. I appreciate your coming back. Devlin and Callie say hi to the fattypugs, too. hugs.

FCP said...

These guys look so sweet. How wonderful that you could give them a good home and lots of love. I can relate to letting the dog in...and out...and in, but they are great studio companions aren't they?
Faye

L.Holm said...

Thanks, Faye - they are an adorable handful, no question. : )

PainterLee said...

With 3 dogs in our house, I know exactly what you mean about in and out, in and out! And forget talking on the phone when the mailman comes down the street! :)
Such cuties!!!

L.Holm said...

LOL! Oh, yes, the mail call. Devlin's other name is Mr. Barky!