Sunday, March 8, 2009

"Bloom Where You Are"


White Rose in Window
7" x 10"
oil on gessoed paper


This is my first post.  I'm a life-long painter, but I'm new to the blog party.  I'm trained as a classical realist, and decamped the corporate publishing world to paint full time fourteen years ago. Life, death and health intruded, as they do, and I'm now finding my way again.  Have been studying with Ed Ramsburg for the past year, and having great fun painting abstracts in acrylic.  Ed's critiques coupled with the freedom and challenge I've found in non-objective painting have informed my representational painting.  At least I like to think so.  Thank you for stopping in!

9 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Beautiful rose - I love the light on it.

Unknown said...

So when are you going to post some of your abstracts?

Ed is a dynamic painter and I love how he revisits the same subject year after year.

L.Holm said...

Thanks, so much Ed and Sheila. And good question Sheila. I've been debating posting my abstracts on a separate blog rather than with my representational paintings. Any advice for a new blogger?

Tom Pohlman said...

LIZ! I am so glad you found me- now I have found YOU! :>) Our stories are very similar!!! You are an amazing artist! I love (and appreciate) your roses. Name a harder flower to paint?! Very nice lost and found edges/selective focus. Did I mention "beautiful"?! Thank you for sharing your work and a little bit about yourself. -Tom

L.Holm said...

Thanks so much, Tom! High compliments coming from you. I appreciate it!!

Patrice said...

This single blooming rose is just perfect. You have captured the translucent quality of the petals - and I really like your interesting color choices.

L.Holm said...

Thank you so much, Patrice, and thanks for visiting my blog!

Beverly Zajac-Larsen said...

Liz this is one of my favorites of your many outstanding pieces! Love it!

L.Holm said...

Thanks so much Beverly.